Monday, March 8, 2010

Alcan AL-8 In .45 ACP

In searching for some good high-performance loads for .45 Auto using heavy cast bullets and AL-8 powder, I came across this discussion on THR:

"I bought out a reloader who's retiring and as part of his stash I got 15# of Alcan AL-8 powder. It's old, but this guy swore by it as his go-to powder for .45ACP.

So, I'd like to try it for that. If it works, I won't need powder for about 37 years, probably.

Only problem is I can't find any reloading info for it. I've searched the web a ton trying to find this, and no dice, with the exception of Handloads.Com which has a single load for a 185gr bullet--but I have no subscription. I'd like to run it with 200gr lead or thereabouts.

Anybody have any ideas about where I might find this? I've struck out. I'm just looking for some starting loads that are reasonable. Maybe a really old manual?

PS: The guy told me he thought his load for it was XXX grains, but I'm not going on what may or may not be accurate memory."


I won't go any further into the comments that followed, except to say that it frustrates me to no end when people whose knowledge of handloading is very shallow and obviously garnered from a very few, recent loading manuals, spout off as if they were great sages in the handloader's art. The bottom line and end result was that the OP sold that 15 lbs of powder for $100. What a shame.

The fact is, AL-8 is most comparable to, but somewhat faster than, 2400. 2400 is one of the most flexible powders in existence, being quite usable for everything from .38 Special to .500 Linebaugh, .22 Hornet to .30/06 (and probably the best powder ever for .45/70), and 12 gauge to .410 shotshells.

Not having pushed it very hard in rifle cartridges, I can't say with certainty that AL-8 will perform as reliably in rifle cartridges as 2400, but I have found it to be a good replacement for 2400 in straight-wall pistol cartridges. In fact, my primary .44 Special carry load is the Keith bullet, 245 grain Lyman #429421, over 11.0 grains AL-8. This gives slightly over 800 fps from my 2 1/2" Charter Arms Bulldog. This is warm but not hot. Lyman's Cast Bullet Handbook, 3rd Edition
lists this same bullet over 10.3 AL-8 as 12,700 CUP and 773 fps from a 4" revolver. 13.2 gr. 2400 is listed as 13,800 CUP and 797 fps. I know of several people who have used the .44 Special Keith load, 17.5 grains of 2400 with this bullet, in the Bulldog with no ill effects, so I know the gun will handle it, but I wanted to keep pressures lower than that. I basically started at the 10.3 grain published load and worked up until my chrono showed consistently over 800 fps, which I achieved at 11.0 grains, and stopped there.


Moving on to .45 ACP, I see no loads listed using AL-8, but there is one AL-8 load listed under .45 Auto Rim; #452423 at 238 grains over 9.6 gr. AL-8 for 814 fps and 13,800 CUP. I have seen several .45 ACP loads over the years featuring the Lyman #454424 and other Keith type 255 grain SWC cast bullets (of the type normally intended for the .45 Colt) over 13.5-14.0 grains of 2400 or 10 grains of Blue Dot. These are .45 ACP +P or even .45 Super loads, so make sure you know what you ar doing and that your gun is capable of handling Super loads (24 lb recoil spring, fully supported chamber, etc.) before attempting anything of the sort. Extrapolating from this data, AL-8 being a bit slower than Blue Dot and generally requiring approximately 80-85% of the charge weight of a similar 2400 load, I would probably call 9.5 grains of AL-8 a starting load with the 255 grain bullets, and work up to perhaps 11.0 as a maximum.

I have, by the way, fired quite a few 255 grain Keith bullets in several different 1911s, mostly with 5 grains of Bullseye but a few with 2400, with no problems.

This load data is not a recommendation. If you use this information, you do so at your own risk.

5 comments:

Me said...

Great info, thanks. Do you by any chance have any recipes for heavy 45 colt loads with the AL-8?

Thanks

Tracy said...

In my large-frame Ruger Blackhawks (as opposed to the newer, smaller frames) I would probably start at 17 grains under a 255 grain cast bullet, and work up until I find a load I like. With the smaller-framed guns I would probably start at 15 or 16 grains.
One thing I have noticed is that with most of the powders I use, similar powder charges with similar bullet weight and design gives similar velocity (as measured with a chrono) in both .44 Mag and .45 Colt. The .45 Colt just does it at lower pressure. Having noted that, my Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook lists a top .44 Mag load of 19.6 grains of AL-8 under the 245 grain Keith bullet. I probably would stop around 18 grains in the .45 Colt, especially with one of the smaller frames, but I doubt that the full 19.6 grains would damage a large-frame Blackhawk.

Tracy said...

BTW, in case you haven't seen it, I posted a followup to this article. You can find it here:
http://cheapreloading.blogspot.com/2010/03/45-acp-al-8-heavy-bullet-load.html

Me said...

Tracy, here's another one for you...I'm trying to launch 350 grain 45 colt bullets....at moderate speed. All the data I find is Dino slaying loads. Any ideas? Here's a thead I have going. Thanks!

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?p=1764240#post1764240

Tracy said...

I think AL8 would be a decent choice for that, too. Maybe start at 9 grains and work up until you reach the point of a clean burn. AL8 leaves lots of residue below a certain pressure, but that pressure is not all that high.
I will join the thread at Cast Boolits now.