Friday, March 19, 2010

.45 ACP AL-8 Heavy Bullet Load




In this post, I suggested 9.5 grains of Alcan AL-8 as a starting load for heavy (250-260 grain) cast bullets in .45 ACP. Yesterday, I tested that load.

While rummaging around in some old reloading stuff I picked up somewhere, I found a partial box of Magnus 255 grain .452" semi-wadcutters that are intended for .45 (Long) Colt. Something had been nesting in the box, and the 47 bullets remaining were dirty and gritty, so I decided that they should be fired in the chrome-plated bore of my Norinco 1911a1. Upon further contemplation, it seemed the perfect candidate for testing the AL-8 load, so after brushing the bullets off, I grabbed some pre-primed cases with assorted headstamps and uncertain history, and weighed some AL-8 charges from Lee dippers. I generally do this before going to the trouble of actually setting up a powder measure, and by happy coincidence, the 1cc dipper held 9.6 grains of my batch of AL-8. I took that as a sign, and proceeded to charge 47 cases. I seated the first bullet without touching the adjustment of the die, which was set up for the Lee 230 grain truncated cone bullet from my 6-cavity mould.  It looked just about right with the 255 grain bullet, so I continued to seat the other 46.

Later at the range I fired them from my Norinco, using 3 generic 7-round magazines. I didn't bring my chronograph, but they shot about like factory hardball loads, were 100% reliable with zero failures of any kind, and shot to point of aim with minute of milk jug accuracy at 50 yards. The only disadvantage I noticed was that the load shot dirty, with lots of powder residue. I think increasing the charge will improve that, and since some of the empty cases were landing on the brim of my hat, I'm sure I have room to increase the charge a bit.

I will leave that for somebody else though, because I don't plan to buy any more of these bullets. I will have to start over with some of my home-cast bullets; perhaps the Lyman #452424 Keith bullet.

I also tried the same powder charge with the 230 grain truncated cone home-cast bullet, and those worked fine, too.

No comments: